Thursday, March 28, 2013

For Emma (Locks of Love)



In honor of my little cousin's 20th birthday (which would have been yesterday), I would like to focus on a great cause that has been created for young cancer patients like her. Locks of Love is an organization that accepts hair donations exclusively for patients under the age of 21 who have lost their hair due to the continued treatment of a long-term medical condition. 

My cousin Emma eventually lost all of her hair while receiving chemotherapy treatments when she was in elementary school. This beautiful, brave little girl was attempting to conquer all of her schooling while fighting a horrible disease. She went to her classes every day with a bright smile and thinning hair, battling a disease that no child should ever have to face. 

Last fall, I decided to donate over twelve inches of my hair to Locks of Love in memory of darling little Emma. While I easily could have sold my hair, in my heart I am so grateful to know that more than one child (due to the length/thickness of my hair) has benefited from my donation. When I was considering the donation, a friend of mine who had donated to Locks of Love before reminded me what a difference it could make for a little boy or girl to be able to go to school with hair. 

In a world of pain, being a tiny bit more confident in front of his or her peers is one less thing that child would need to worry about. I am so grateful for that advice, as it truly put things into perspective for me. I realized that I can grow my hair out as many times as I want, but that little boy or girl (unfortunately) may have a very limited time to be able to benefit from my donation. 

I could not be happier that I decided to donate and I am constantly reminded of that decision. I often wonder and think about the children who are currently in possession of/wearing my hair right now, and it puts a smile on my face every time it crosses my mind. (I really wish I could see photos of these children with my hair!) Every time I look in the mirror and wish my hair was longer, I think about Emma and am so happy for the small contribution I was able to make in her honor. 


Thank you for taking the time to read about Emma and the Locks of Love organization. You can do your part by donating (hair or financially) to this awesome cause. 

"Every child is beautiful. You can help them feel beautiful by helping Locks of Love." Great Clips offers free haircuts to customers donating hair! If you are interested in donating your hair, here are Guidelines for Acceptable Hair Donations via Locks of Love

  • Hair that is colored or permed is acceptable. 
  • Hair cut years ago is usable if it has been stored in a ponytail or braid. 
  • Hair that has been bleached (usually this refers to highlighted hair) is not usable. If unsure, ask your stylist. We are not able to accept bleached hair due to a chemical reaction that occurs during the manufacturing process. **If the hair was bleached years ago and has completely grown out it is fine to donate. 
  • Hair that is swept off of the floor is not usable because it is not bundled in a ponytail or braid. 
  • Hair that is shaved off and not in a ponytail or braid is not usable. If shaving your head, first divide hair into multiple ponytails to cut off. 
  • We cannot accept dreadlocks. Our manufacturer is not able to use them in our children's hairpieces. We also cannot accept wigs, falls, hair extensions or synthetic hair. 
  • Layered hair is acceptable if the longest layer is 10 inches. 
  • Layered hair may be pulled straight to measure the minimum 10 inches. 
  • 10 inches measured tip to tip is minimum length needed for a hairpiece.
Find a Great Clips location near you here.



In memory of sweet little Emma, 

~Violetta 

2 comments:

Victoria Sandwich said...

I shall bear this in my mind the next time I decide to have my hair cut short, it makes it worth growing it longer!

Unknown said...

It sure does! Thanks for the comment!